Unit 5 Topic 3 Section C 学习指导
1. The family was poor, so they had to struggle just to live.
2. In Illinois, there were neither teachers nor schools, but Lincoln’s stepmother encouraged hime to study.
neither ... nor ... 既不……也不…… 连接主语时，注意就近原则。
encourage sb. to do sth. 鼓励某人做某事
3. At (the age of) twenty-one, Lincoln left home.
4. He soon received a law license and become a lawyer.
5. During the following years, he took a more active part in politics.
take an active part in 积极参加……
6. ... , and in the same year the Civil War broke out.
break out (不愉快的事情）突然发生，爆发
7. The Civil War was between the southern states that wanted to leave the Union and form their own country, and the northern states that wanted to keep all the states as one country.
8. Both the northern staes and President Lincoln wanted to get rid of those laws.
get rid of 解除、废除
9. On April 9, 1865, the Civil War ended and all slaves were set free.
set free 释放，解放
10. Less than a week later, on April 14, 1865, Abraham Lincoln was shot at the Ford Theater in Washington DC.
Less than 少于、不足
11. He died the next day from his wound.
die from 死于……
12. The southern states wanted to break up the country.
break up 终止、完结、解散、瓦解
13. My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure.
be content with ... 对……满足，对……满意